Update on gelding's nose

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to update you on the condition of my 4 yo gelding that was
injured after spooking in the trailer and spooking on the trail.  As you may
recall, he had a bad scrape on his nose but not bad enough to be fixed.  But
he rubbed and rubbed it until it was raw, bleeding every day and then his
nose started to fall apart and then rip upwards toward the eye.  It
developed necrotic tissue.  The vet came out again on Thursday, debrieded
the wound and apposed the top layer of skin to bring back the healthy
bleeding tissue to start healing.  She then stitched him up and gave him
banamine.  She said he was a very very good boy during the whole thing.  I
still have him on penicillin and now have a horse muzzle on him to prevent
him from ripping out the stitches and rubbing.  He's been pretty good about
it, only rubbing slightly.  The muzzle is a hard pliable plastic that hooks
onto the halter.  Anyway, just wanted to say thanks a million for all of
your advice.  It was really touch and go and I was really panicking.  He's
such a beautiful animal and thought he would be scarred for life.  Thank
goodness my vet did an excellent job suturing him up.  Now, if he'll only
stay that way.  He's really a big goofball as we call him.

Janet