Re: Slippery Training Rides/Borium Nail Heads

Angela C. McGhee wrote:

> Got my farrier to show me these after reading the post about them
> yesterday.  They looked as if they stuck up a full 1/4 Inch from the
> shoe.  TOO high in my opinion.  Bet they'd slice anything that happened
> to get kicked by them too!

Hi Angela,

if it is really 1/4 Inch (which is 6,3 mm) you are right. That's too high.
But I think that your farrier had taken the wrong size of nail for that
shoe. A "standard" nail should have 2 mm more than the iron (and is
wearing off to be even with the iron). So when adding that amount of borium

Mustad is using, the height of the head should be lower than 5 mm.
Let him check that again. Here in Germany I am using Werkman-Shoes
Size 2 with Mustad Nails E 5 (the DuraTrac will be E 5 DT).

Happy trails,

Wolfgang + Nösenberger's Ninja (more than 1.000 competitive miles)
Germany