Ponying problems

Hi group!  Well now that I have 2 endurance horses to keep fit I end up
ponying my backup horse a lot.  He is a pain in the you know where to pony.
 Kodi starts off good but then starts lagging behind, it is almost
impossible to keep him up at my knee.  He pulls on me big time and I
usually need my friend to ride behind him to prompt him to keep up the
pace.  Any ideas how I can cure this problem, it sure makes ponying a
misery.

                                  Cheryl Newbanks
~~~           ~~ ^ ^        SW Region
~~~\      _ ~~/ /\ /        Buckeye, AZ