Re: how much heel?

Ah well, here we go again. IT ALL DEPENDS!

One centimeter is adequate for the heel if the toe is the correct length
and the horse is of reasonable conformation. Then you will not experience
underrun heels or any of the other problems.

Realize I said "It all depends". If the horse is not of fair conformation
or if it has Some sort of leg deviation or if ----- (you fill it in) then
the heel may of necessity be longer.

Our horses average about three and a quarter to three and a half inch toe
with a one half to three quarter inch heel and they do very well. No
lameness or foot problems (excepting things like a nail through the foot
and out the heel last Sunday)

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID

----------
> From: DreamWeaver <karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us>
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: how much heel?
> Date: Wednesday, August 19, 1998 6:20 PM
>
> Just out of curiosity, now much heel does an average endurance horse
> usually have?  Front feet?  Hind feet?
>
> One of my horses seems to have an adquate amount of heel on the front,
but
> the hind foot seems to be a little short on heel.  Though he's not
> under-run - the angle in the back is about the same as the front.
>
> If anybody has any suggestions or could send me somewhere to look at
> articles on the subject I'd really appreciate it.  My farrier isn't the
> kind to take suggestions lightly.  (ha)
>
> Also, here is another questions.  This time about a horse that paddles
> (gee, wonder why?) <g>.  When I got this horse, he didn't paddle.  I
didn't
> know better and used a really bad farrier (he was voted best in the
Valley
> though, so I wasn't the only dummy) and really messed up my horses.
That's
> when the horse started/was paddling.  The new farrier has been working to
> fix this problem and has actually made fabulous improvements in how the
> horse moves.  But still has a slight paddle on the left front only.
Should