Length of Gait

Cindy wrote:
My horse is considerably better trained than I, with a background in 2nd
level dressage
[advice on]  how to lengthen a horse's gait at the
walk, works wonderfully.   Guess I was the  one who didn't know the cues.
Now, how do I accomplish the same thing at the trot, since his is short
and
choppy?

*****************************
Glad to know you benefitted from the advice on lengthening the walk.  You
say the horse has dressage training  -  did you see his trainer ride him?
 has he been trained to extend??  If so then, again,  you could benefit
from a lesson or two to learn his language better.  If you can get that
instruction from his trainer or from a good instructor in the area that
would be best.
If not, put him on the lounge and observe his trot.  Will he extend on
the line?
If he will, then when you get on his back at the trot, reach back with
your heels (imagine reaching for his hind feet with your feet ) and allow
your legs to vibrate at the rhythm of his gait until you get the
extension you want.  You need relaxed lower legs and ankles to do this
properly.
You will want to ask him to reach farther with his hind legs, as at the
walk.

Having a competant instructor to at least watch and comment  a time or
two will greatly improve your success.

Marie McRae

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]