Re: TEVIS BC

In a message dated 98-08-09 22:09:38 EDT, grs@theneteffect.com writes:

<< I looked at so many Tevis photos <g>) where it
 looked like there was some kind of butt-strap or come-along on the mule?  >>

Am going through my mail and answering as I go, so maybe someone else has
answered this.  I haven't seen the photos, but it is somewhat common to ride
mules with a britchin, which is a strap around the rear end, with a strap up
over the top of the rump to keep it from slipping down.  These are used on
pack saddles and have the same function as a crupper--to keep the saddle or
pack from slipping forward when going downhill.  When on the level, there
should be no tension on it at all.  Since some mules have slightly different-
shaped backs from horses, and since more mules than horses are taught to pack
and hence are used to a britchin, more mule riders use them than horse riders
do.

Heidi Smith, DVM (who packs with horses, too, and has Arab stallions that have
worn a britchin with a pack saddle...)