Re: Trotting Out and Ribbing Us Newbies, Truman.

Truman Prevatt wrote:

> Flemmer, Linda wrote:
>
> There are also energy pocket, i.e. gait/speed/terrain combinations where the
> minimal amount of energy is expended.  Some horses are much more energy
> efficient at 12 mph at a gallop than a trot.  Watch the HRM it will tell the
> story.  But remember each horse is different.

Absolutely true about seeing the difference in the HR monitor.  I was surprised
when I first started using one of Roger's first set ups (still working fine, too)
and noticed the same thing.  I felt like it verified my gut feeling that the
horse knew when to change over.  The horse & rider have a partnership, not a
dictatorship (except at feeding time.  "Feed me NOW!")

> > Caveats...  Change diagonals, frequently!
>
> Also remember if you do gallop changes leads frequently.

You're absolutely right!  Forgot to mention that, but it is as important as
changing posting diagonals.  I've ridden horses who will "throw" you onto their
preferred diagonal, or do funny lead changes that feel like a trip in order to
get to the preferred lead.  Gotta watch them - they're sneaky!

> And hopping off and leading the horse

Of course, you are assuming that there's a nice big rock somewhere to get back on
my oversized beasty :-(   Repeat after me:

I will NOT get another gray 16H horse.
I will NOT get another gray 16H horse
I will not....

> Rocket a.k.a. Mr. Misty

I hope that your "Rocket" turns out to be as much fun as my "Rocket" aka ABF
Challenger has been.  He has a devilish streak, yet he patiently ponied brownies
and girlscouts for hours at their Horsemanship day.  He ate all that attention
right up!  (and their sandwiches, carrots, coolaid, apples, grass, apple juice,
chips....)

Linda Flemmer