Re: Trotting Out and Ribbing Us Newbies, Truman.

Flemmer, Linda wrote:

> It may be your balance or motion that tips him inot the next gait, but it
> may his gait mechanics, too.  When the stress on the horse (from the
> impact) reaches a certain point, they will switch to the next gait up.
> (ex. Extended road trot to canter) Is it possible that he is making his
> decision based on his perceived stress level?  Each horse tolerates the
> impact differently.  We have a horse who "road trots (extremely strong
> extended trot)" at 22 mph.  He prefers NOT to canter.  My old mare liked a
> leisurely 10 mph trot before she geared up to a hand gallop that she could
> maintain all day.  Current mount likes to change his gaits up regularly
> (every few miles or depending on footing.)

There are also energy pocket, i.e. gait/speed/terrain combinations where the
minimal amount of energy is expended.  Some horses are much more energy
efficient at 12 mph at a gallop than a trot.  Watch the HRM it will tell the
story.  But remember each horse is different.

> snip..
>
> Caveats...  Change diagonals, frequently!  Also, if the horse insists on
> changing gaits, but not necessarily speed, listen to him.  It may be the
> impact that he's avoiding, or it could be tired muscles.  He might be
> looking for a different muscle group to work with.  When my horse switches
> back and forth too often, I start trying to notice if he is tight or off
> anywhere.  It can be a subtle way of relieving a sore area.
>
> As to the question on picking up the speed, I agree with Truman - CANTER
> or GALLOP!  Better yet, come into holds already at the parameters and jump
> ahead of those who's pulses are just hanging for a few minutes.  The gate
> into a hold offers a great advantage to the fittest competitors.
>
> Linda Flemmer

Also remember if you do gallop changes leads frequently.  And hopping off and
leading the horse into the vet check either jogging or walking will bring him
in near parameters and get you through the check with minimal delay.  IMO
it's better to take a few minutes walking the horse into the check and flying
through than to trot in and take 10 minutes to come down.

--
Truman Prevatt
Brooksville, FL

Mystic “The Horse from Hell” Storm