Re: Trotting Out and Ribbing Us Newbies, Truman.

 Susie Wimberly wrote:

> Tez & I are working on the extended trot thing as we speak.
> He strikes this very natural, balanced, comfortable, long-reaching
> extended trot. <SNIP>
> When I try to push him into his extended trot, he resists, I
> inevitably do some little thing to foul up our balance, and Tez breaks
> over into a canter to escape my nagging.

It may be your balance or motion that tips him inot the next gait, but it
may his gait mechanics, too.  When the stress on the horse (from the
impact) reaches a certain point, they will switch to the next gait up.
(ex. Extended road trot to canter) Is it possible that he is making his
decision based on his perceived stress level?  Each horse tolerates the
impact differently.  We have a horse who "road trots (extremely strong
extended trot)" at 22 mph.  He prefers NOT to canter.  My old mare liked a
leisurely 10 mph trot before she geared up to a hand gallop that she could
maintain all day.  Current mount likes to change his gaits up regularly
(every few miles or depending on footing.)

> What we are going to do, as soon as we have a little more time &
> organization in our schedule (and permitting the added expense) is to
> hire a dressage trainer

Best thing any rider could do!  It can be hard to find a trainer who
teaches dressage as a tool vs dressage to compete at dressage.  The
insights into how the horse works and responds to you is invaluable.

>   Tez needs to be comfortable learning to give to my leg and hand to
> gain the length of
> stride, AND most importantly to maintain the gait consistently for
> several miles at a time.

Caveats...  Change diagonals, frequently!  Also, if the horse insists on
changing gaits, but not necessarily speed, listen to him.  It may be the
impact that he's avoiding, or it could be tired muscles.  He might be
looking for a different muscle group to work with.  When my horse switches
back and forth too often, I start trying to notice if he is tight or off
anywhere.  It can be a subtle way of relieving a sore area.

As to the question on picking up the speed, I agree with Truman - CANTER
or GALLOP!  Better yet, come into holds already at the parameters and jump
ahead of those who's pulses are just hanging for a few minutes.  The gate
into a hold offers a great advantage to the fittest competitors.

Linda Flemmer