Me 'n Provo try for a 30...

From: Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
Email: elsie@calweb.com

Provo an' me are aiming to try and go for a 30 miler at the end of
September. This will be a first for me (and a 3rd for him - he's
already done a 25 and a 50...).

We got this gelding almost exactly a year ago for my husband,
during which time Provo's had back problems, broken my husband's
leg (OK, indirectly, but it was related to his manners), got a spectacular
case of rain rot and finally come sound, and got me going on him.

I've kind of put my training of my greenie, Mouse, on the back burner,
to make Provo the best horse I can until Patrick's able to ride again
(maybe another year? It was a pretty bad break...)

So we're working on hills in the canyons and LSD. He's getting so
good and we're really having *fun*. To ride this horse on a dangling
rein and trolling down the trails (as opposed to fighting him, hollow-
backed and head tossing) has been a complete joy - looks like the
six months he had off really did good things for him; adding a SportSaddle
has helped his back; and just building up really slowly, only adding
speed here and there has just changed his outlook.

I doubt we'll be completing in spectacular time, but if I can get us
both round under control, in a relaxed and mellow fashion, with a
modicum of good manners, and complete without feeling like "we'd
like to die now please", I'll be very happy.

BTW, I've been riding a whole lot with my Camelbak in 100°F+
temperatures and am dealing with the heat wonderfully. I'm sure it's
because I'm going sip,sip,sip down the trail... (as opposed to glug-glug
from water bottles).

Lucy - having a great time in the canyons... except for the
poison oak... :(
--
Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@calweb.com
Repotted english person in Sacramento, CA

with Mouse and Provo