RE: Drug policy

AERC recognizes the problem of zero tolerance for many of
the reasons Kristen states. Last year there was a case of a
rider using an old bute syringe to administer electrolytes -
the horse was tested and showed positive for bute. Even though
the veterinary committee stated that the amount of bute found
in the blood was *extremely* low, AERC had no option but to follow the
rules as written and penalize the rider.

Due to this the inflexibility in the way the drug rule was written and
the way infractions had to be dealt with, the issue was discussed at the '98
AERC board meeting. The board voted to allow AERC some level of
discretion when dealing with individual postitive drug test cases. AERC
now has the option to issue a warning, or whatever is appropriate
to a given case, rather than mandatory punishment. There is still a
zero tolerance drug policy, but a case which is obviously not an
intentional violation may be treated on an individual basis.

If you think about it, it would be *really* difficult, if not impossible for
AERC to define 'acceptable' levels for the hundreds of drugs available.
This way each case can be dealt with individually, based on input
from the vet committee.

Steph