Re: Electrolyte comparison

SOOOOO MUCH depends on how fast you are going, the terrain, temperature and
humidity and the individual horse.  Most electroyltes, I feel, work okay on most
horses who are not "running for the roses".  BUT, if you really want optimal
performance, you need to do some reasearch.

At the Great Northern Connection a few weeks ago, Gayle Ecker and her research
team (volunteers!!!) took blood before the rides along with sweat samples and for
those who participated in her program, took blood samples at every vet check
during the ride with an on the spot analysis.  It was mind-boggling.  Everyone
knew if his/her horse was low or high on ANYTHING and had time during the hold to
compensate with food or electrolytes.  As a result, NO horses were pulled for
metabolics and all horses who finished were in great shape.

The only bad part was the cost.  Gayle and her team get NO funds for this research
and hence had to charge each rider from $100 to $180 for the work done.

Can you imagine how valuable a tool this is?  Why is money going to prizes when it
SHOULD go to research (IMHO)?

Anyway, for those of you who are interested in details of this project, please
feel free to contact Gayle Ecker at gecker@uoguelph.ca  You will find her VERY
informative and helpful.

We have put a copy of Gayle Ecker and Mike Lindinger's article on using
electroyltes on our web page.  Click on Perform 'N Win under electrolytes.

http://runningbear.com

Teddy