Re: Electrolyte comparison

> Lots of people in my area use a homemade mixture of electrolye supplements
>  on rides  (don't know what they use everyday at home during routine and
>  training rides)
>  I was wondering how this mixture measures up.  The total mixture is 2 parts
>  lite salt, 2 parts table salt, and 1 part Dolomite.   One ounce mixed in
> water
>  or applesauce, supplemented as needed during a ride.  Any thoughts  out
> there?
>
>  Kathy
>  Jupiter, Fl
>  "The Sweat Zone"
*   *   *   *  *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *
Hi Kathy~

I have been using that mixture for the last ten years (ever since my first
Kerry Ridgeway clinic).  However I have modified it to equal parts of all
three.  (I'm a big fan of dolomite & figured it wouldn't hurt)

I use it both in competition and on training rides.  I mix it in water with a
scoop of orange gatorade and my horse LOVES it, can't wait to drink it (looks
at it as his reward for packing me around).

There was talk on ridecamp a while back about "don't feed your horse rocks"
(refering to the dolomite) but I'm not sure I agree with that.  It has worked
for me all these years & my motto is "if it ain't broke don't fix it".  But
then again I don't "race" my horse.  I just ride for a completion and the love
of it.

I would like to hear if Kerry Ridgeway has any new opinions on the above
recipe.  Has he changed his mind since he gave us his formula way back when?

~Nora & Tucker
  Ocoee, FL