Re: The Overkill fannypack list

Susan;
I'm impressed with your extensive list of items and will include many in my
trail pack.  You wrote: Believe it or not, all this fits into an Eagle Creek
fannypack which is
roughly 12" x 7" x 8" with a few little extra pockets on the waistband.

My question is do you get the fanny pack bouncing on the cantle?  My little
fanny pack/bottle holder hits with every stride and drives me crazy.  I can't
cinch it high enough to stop it from jamming and have it stay there.  I would
like to get a cantle bag and pommel bag to carry some of the gear.  Any
suggestions?  Ridecampers?

Also, you have a snake bite kit listed but I was told it is better NOT to cut
and suction.  I keep a sterile package of tubing at the barn to use if the
horse is bitten on the nose to keep airway open.  I would be most interested
to hear what the vets have to say about treating snakebite on the trail away
from help.

Also having asthma I always have my inhaler (I rotate that out but never
thought of that problem with vet wrap and it would be important for other
drugs as well) but was wondering what medicine you carry that could be used in
emergency.  I take the preventer type meds (Serevent and Accolate) but don't
have any rescue other than inhaler which has failed me in the past.  I'm not
trying to solicit medical advice but was wondering if there is something I can
talk to my doctor about.  You can answer me privately about that.

Having all your ID plus insurer cards is great idea.  I have been meaning to
get the pet ID tags done for both me and the horse.  Put your ID tag on
shoelace or belt and the horse's on its bridle.  I had a good friend knocked
unconscious (even with helmet) and was in shock for long period after.  She
couldn't tell her rescuer where she lived or who to call.  Neighbor saw her
loose horse and went looking for her so was able to alert husband about taking
her to emergency room.  Having ID on your person is important.  Almost as
important as ALWAYS wearing helmet!  My friend was riding quiet horse when
someone unseen fired gun nearby and horse fell on her when he panicked.  They
figured the horse fell on her because the saddle was broken and scuffed; she
had memory loss of the accident and would surely be dead or vegetable if not
for helmet.  Sermon over.

Waiting to hear what you ridecampers use for saddle bags.

Melanie in AZ