Re: The Overkill fannypack list

Horsestwo@aol.com wrote:

> Susan;
> I'm impressed with your extensive list of items and will include many in my
> trail pack.  You wrote: Believe it or not, all this fits into an Eagle Creek
> fannypack which is
> roughly 12" x 7" x 8" with a few little extra pockets on the waistband.
>
> My question is do you get the fanny pack bouncing on the cantle?  My little
> fanny pack/bottle holder hits with every stride and drives me crazy.  I can't
> cinch it high enough to stop it from jamming and have it stay there.  I would
> like to get a cantle bag and pommel bag to carry some of the gear.  Any
> suggestions?  Ridecampers?

I make a point of carrying the survival and first-aid pack on me, not
the horse.  If I crash and burn, I would like to think Cato would stay
with me, but it might not happen that way.  Or, who's to say that Cato
wouldn't be the one to fall off the trail, still leaving me without the
supplies I might need?  So everything important goes on me, and the only
things on the horse are things like the easyboot, sponge, HRM, etc.

I happen to be very tall, so a fanny pack doesn't hit the cantle of my
saddle.  Since obviously, that's not going to help out everyone, you
might check out some of those small daybacks that fit like a very small
backpack, higher up.  I have one (also from Eagle Creek) and although I
don't wear it riding, it's very sturdy and comfy and would probably make
a good pack for the must-have gear.  My fanny pack really is small, but
DENSE---I rarely, if ever, go in there (my normal riding stuff is in a
side pocket or elsewhere on the saddle, but that's just chapstick and
stuff---so it doesn't flop around as it would if everything were just
loosely stuffed in.  Anyway, just a thought.

> Also, you have a snake bite kit listed but I was told it is better NOT to cut
> and suction.

I took a look and mine just suctions, no cutting.  I used to have one of
those little green bullet kits, this one is yellow and has a much
stronger suction.  Maybe I'll go try it on warbles if I ever get one!

> Also having asthma I always have my inhaler (I rotate that out but never
> thought of that problem with vet wrap and it would be important for other
> drugs as well) but was wondering what medicine you carry that could be used in
> emergency.  I take the preventer type meds (Serevent and Accolate) but don't
> have any rescue other than inhaler which has failed me in the past.

My asthma isn't severe, so my Singulair and inhaler are all I need or
carry.  It sounds like yours is more severe, so you might talk to your
doctor about suggestions.

> Having all your ID plus insurer cards is great idea.  I have been meaning to
> get the pet ID tags done for both me and the horse.  Put your ID tag on
> shoelace or belt and the horse's on its bridle.

I used to just have an old (but still current info) driver's license,
Blue Cross card, etc in a plastic baggie in the pack, but the last day
or so thought, gee, it might be hard to find if they didn't know where
to look.  So this morning I had the ID and insurance card laminated
together into one big "tag" and attached the whole darm thing to the
outside of the pack, pretty hard to miss. A second tag has emergency
phone numbers, including the vet's phone number, etc.  The whole thing
cost me about three bucks.

Seeya,

Susan Garlinghouse