[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Barn Sour Horse]]

-- BEGIN included message

Hi Jerri -

Back in March I was lucky enough to ride in one of Lee Smith's last
clinics.  There were two sets of horses (mine and a friend's and another
two) who were experiencing "separation anxiety" :-).

Lee advised us to think like the horses were thinking - my buddy is
security - and instead of pulling them away and making them work (which
made my colt even more nervous - he's young), she had us work them
constantly while they were with one another and relax only when apart.
Our horses quickly (within 30 minutes) decided they did not want to be
with their buddy.

The other pair, a gelding who could care less and a VERY dependent mare,
were a little more difficult.  Once saddled, Lee had the mare's rider do
the spanking exercise (spank yourself, spank the saddle, then spank the
horse) with the end of her lead  every time the mare went near her
buddy.  Whenever the mare left, she was free to go wherever she wanted.
In less than 20 minutes the mare was seeking the opposite side of the
arena to relax and looking to her human for comfort.

I hope this might help.  Good Luck!

Becky

jtaylor@pyramid.net wrote:

> Subject: Barn Sour Horse
> Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 16:52:12 -0600
> From: Jerri Larsen <jerril@mcn.net>
> To: "ridecamp-d-request@endurance.net" <ridecamp@endurance.net>
>
> When you have 4 horses, all are pets, how do you make one want to leave the
> clan so you can ride?
>
> I can get the horse to go, but God, what an ordeal.  WE circle and circle
> and back up and back up, till I am about worn out when we are finally off???
>
> Feel free to send private so as not to clutter list..
>
> Thank  you
> Jerri

> NOTE:
> The opinions expressed here are those of the authors, not necessarily those
> of PNH, and, therefore, PNH assumes no responsibility for their accuracy.
> No commercial use of posts without author's written permission.

-- END included message