Re: It only takes a few seconds...

Lucie,
I took a fall 3 weeks ago while showing a new ride Vet some of our
trails. Neither my horse nor I were ready for the ditch to be so-oo-o
deep. He slammed into the side of the road. Thankfully he only sustained
bruising on chest and upper legs. I knew I was falling "wrong" but
didn't have time to adjust before I hit. I am recovering from a hairline
fracture of the pelvis. Luckily, it didn't fracture the entire length
(width?) of the pelvis, just enough to put me out of commission. I was
able to walk, _very_ slowly, two-tenths of a mile up trail to where a
truck and trailer came to pick us up.

My doctor told me to do whatever I could without overdoing and hurting
my recovery. But, he thinks I need to wait 5-6 months before trying to
ride again. Maybe this is the magic number for bones! I'm not sure that
I can wait that long before trying to ride.

I have a friend that suffered a dislocation. She said they are more
painful than a break. She doesn't seem to suffer any loss of motion with
her arm.
And my rule for helmets is: Never ride without one, no matter how short
the trail may be.

Maybe we can ride a ride together next year! Keep your spirits up and
listen to your body.

Linda Parrish, mgr Old Glory I, II, III - July 17, 18 & 19
MA Flashdancer - "Hey, Mom, I feel great! Let's Go!!!"