It only takes a few seconds...

please excuse the lack of capitals, but I'm typing left handed as my right
arm is in a cast.
	my old competitor, chief and i were leading a trail ride of
friends on trails we have ridden for years.. the cedar creek trail..when
all of the sudden, he went down on his knees and the force of him falling
threw me off.  i landed on my right leg and outstretched right hand.
	to make a long story short, had to walk out about 3/4 of a mile to
my truck where my friend katy Vernon , who had helped me up and to walk
back had to drive me the horse and my trailer to the er.
i ended up with a very dislocated forearm and the head of the radius
fractured.  also, i  am less than happy.. the doctor is trying to tell me
no competing for 4 to 5 months and that I'll never have full extension of
the joint..any body have any experience with this?

the horse is fine and has no residual effects.. we were going on  a
fun conditioning ride as  my step dau. had plans to do her first natrc
ride
in aug, and i was conditioning chief for her.

i guess my point is you never know what will happen, ever. the ground was
just a little wet and slick and he somehow slipped or got tangled in some
roots and went down.  i was off before i knew it.

it could have been worse, as i was sitting on the ground from the fall, i
saw chief trying to get to his feet, my legs were stretched out under him,
i watched him carefully put his feet down and he even almost put his foot
on my toe, but waited while i slowly moved it a few inches away, and then
slowly put it down. he was
quite a good boy!  also, guess who had left their helmet at home in the
barn!!?  i had numerous second thoughts initially about riding with out
it, but no one had a spare and it was too far to go back and get it.  so
on with the show!! i was lucky one of those feet didn't knock me in the
head.
my natrc friends here have been wonderful.. helping with house work and
keeping my spirits up.  i guess i want to say be careful, friends..if it
can happen to me... and it just takes a few seconds...

ps I'm planning on riding as soon as i can!
 Lucie Hess
Columbia, Missouri
Chief Black Arrow -retired Appy
Moonhill Dandi -current mount- 7/8 Arab