Re: ride fees

In a message dated 98-07-08 00:56:52 EDT, cancer@inet1.inetworld.net writes:

<< I have a different opinion.  I prefer the riders to preregister.  We
 have large rides (100+) so that if they all had to register at the ride,
 the line would be too long and time consuming.   >>

I guess it is all what you are used to.  We had 153 at our Sunriver ride a few
weeks ago, did not start signing in until about 2 p.m., and had everyone
pretty well vetted in in time for a briefing before dark.  We put a table
outside the office with the entry blanks on it, so that folks can fill out
their paper work while in line--once they get in the door, it is just a matter
of assigning them a number and a rider card.  I can get volunteers at the ride
to sign folks in, but I don't have anyone at home to do all that stuff while I
am out doing all the other stuff a manager has to do.  Our Sunriver and
Paulina rides are a long commute from home, and are in a lot of timber, so
require a lot of trail clearing.  Both rides also require extensive water
hauling, which is VERY time-consuming.  Being self-employed at a more-than-
full-time job, I work 18 hours a day for the week-plus before the ride--I
don't even open my mail unless it looks important.  You would be amazed how
quickly you can process folks at the ride if you are set up to do it.

I agree with Angie about ordering food and awards--I look at my previous
year's entries, and follow how much other rides in my area have grown from the
previous year, and I am rarely off by much.  If all else fails, I order a few
more awards after the fact and get them to folks later.  Did get a bit of a
shock when I had 96 at my April ride, as it is one of the earlier ones in the
year here, so did not know what a growth spurt our area was going through yet.
Was expecting about 80...

Heidi