Re: ride fees

In a message dated 98-07-07 14:29:52 EDT, jtaylor@pyramid.net writes:

<< When I got my refund it was $65 The original fee was $95 because I sent
 it in after the deadline. On the check the deductions were for vet, drug
 fee and banquet. >>

I can see the deduction for the banquet if they had to reserve x number of
plates and pay for them--on the other hand, I have found that there are
usually extra people to feed, so am still a bit ambivalent about that.  As to
vet and drug fee--why??  You did not use the vet and the manager only has to
pay the drug fee for the number of entries that actually start!

As a ride manager, I find pre-entry to be a big hassle--I am a busy person, I
don't have extra help except at the ride itself, and the last thing I want to
be doing when I am busy clearing trail, marking trail, and hauling water is
keeping track of a bunch of money and paperwork.  I had one lady send me a
pre-entry for Sunriver (last month) and I STILL can't find her check.  With a
little experience under my belt, I find that I can estimate my breakfast
numbers pretty closely just by what I have had in previous years and how many
calls I have gotten.  By refusing to take pre-entries, the refund policy is
simple--if you come to the ride and don't vet through, I just hand you back
your check.  Life is sure easier when you don't sweat the small stuff...

Heidi (managing 4 rides a year plus a multi-day...)