ride fees

I had to pull out of a ride recently, I called the day before the ride.
When I got my refund it was $65 The original fee was $95 because I sent
it in after the deadline. On the check the deductions were for vet, drug
fee and banquet. I don't know what is customary but that seemed like a
bit much to me. I almost feel that if that is the way all or most ride
mgrs do it I would perfer to pay the extra fee for being late and sign
up when I get to a ride since you never know what might happen. On one
ride I still have not gotton a refund. Wadaya think? Julie