Re: ride fees

Julie,

I am almost superstitious about not pre-entering a ride.  If the late
fee is substantial and I am quite sure I will attend the ride I pre-enter,
otherwise not.  Having missed a deadline for reduced entry I dont think
I would pre enter unless it was another substantial penalty to enter
upon arrival.  However as with the recent vet fee thread there are no
set standards in this sport. One manager here has a $25 dollar pre-entry
fee (10 days in advance) or a $15 dollar late fee.  The $25 is refundable
only with a vet's or Dr's excuse so it is a real toss up between saving
the $15 or risking the $25 on something that precludes a ride but does
not require professional care.  As a rider you have to ask what the
ride fee policies are.  It would be nice if all managers would put full
details of this on fliers/entries but I would hate to see it made into
a rule.   While I don't like to pre-enter I do try to call ride managers
and let them know I plan to attend so they can figure how many meals and
vets they need.  (Of the Mt. region rides I attend most managers have
no penalty for not pre-entering and many do not mail out entries, preferring
to confine the paperwork to the actual date of the ride.)

Teresa