Selenium

In Michigan we are really low in Selenium so we suppliment.  I have a vet that
advised us to spend our money on selenium testing as our horses vary depending
on what they are doing.

The hundred miler can lose selenium very quickly.  In fact, this year she was
very low, about 90-100.  The local vet said no problem but my endurance vet
says the horse needs to be between 160 and 210.  Sounds high but on a 100 mile
ride, she will lose 10-20 points of selenium.  I was also told that when a
horse is low, they do not absorb Se (selenium) very well.

I started giving injections of 10cc every week for 3 weeks then skipped a
couple of weeks.  It makes them VERY sore.  She was also on 2 oz. a day of Se-
E.  Had her tested every month for 3 months.  She is finally at 160 and we
have a month before the next hundred miler.

I have talked to one 100 mile front runner and she gives 10cc of Se-E 10 days
before each 100 miles.

You are right in that horses can get Se toxicity but in Michigan its rare.  My
suggestion is get your horse tested and sent it to Michigan State and not the
University of Michigan.  MSU was the university that developed the Se test
because our state is Se deficient. If it takes less than 3 days to get your
results back,  somebody sent it elsewhere (local vets tried that here).  It
should take a week to 10 days for results (unless you bug your vet to call the
lab at MSU).

Becke in Michigan (PJ @157, Rocky at 200 Nikker @170)