Re: Selenium

As another res of TN-- Angie  etall-- I was  still am a bit concerned
about the Se here.
My pastures,  about 30A are pristene.. not farmed for over 20 yrs.. and
mostly only grazed as cattle pasture. We have not put on lime or
fertilized  except one time on the upper dry 5 ac..
I fed ALOT of Se in PA. Our double blind blood test-- 2 test same horse
showed a level of 90mcg/dl  WAY low as prev posts..
We fed MEGASEL at 2 to 3 the recommnded dose.. and in 3 months the level

on all the tested horses went to 160-190. SO we kept up the high dose..

NOW we are in TN  --on the line in the mtns where we MAY just have high
Se.
 We have NOT blood tested..I plan on doing it.

BUT we have cut out the MegaSel. and only feed the MIN dose of the ABC
E/Se supplement. I dont feed it every day.

We did-- do-- offer the ABC "T" mix  free choice  T mix is trace
minerals AND Se..
I do believe-- not matter what the Phds say.. horses will selective
choose what they need to correct imbalances..
I offer a pick and choose system of minerals and some vitamins..

They DO NOT take up the T mix..a pnd lasts a month on 9 horses..
I conclude they get enough Se.. from the supplement.
Which I may just cut out of the diet of all EXCEPT the workers

I dont know IF it means anything, but they ALL have lost the fetlock
'feathers'  HAIR LOSS?   on those that are NOT getting any Se supplement
also
OR is because of all the dry dirt.. and flies?
VERY strange..since it is all I dont think it is Se related
But a blood test is surely in order- even if it is suspect.. that is a
poor test.
This issue was cover last year..at that time I recommended high
doseage.. but now in this area.. I have reduced the supplement..
Roger R