Mariposa Run - Notes from a Newbie

Hi Guys,

Well, last Saturday I tiptoed into my first LD.  It was the Mariposa
Run (LD-30).  Wow, what an experience!  I was so proud of my mare,
Rosie . . . . . she was such a good girl :-).  We arrived late Friday
night, trying to be quiet and get settled in at the same time.  We
got vetted in Saturday morning and started after the pack(s),
determined to take it nice and slow.  (I just purchased my mare this
spring and she has only about 2 months under saddle.)  There was more
climbing than I expected.  I thought we might quit at the halfway vet
check, but she checked in so well at the vet stops, and seemed in
such good spirits, I decided to continue.  I was thrilled at how well
she drank - every water hole and stream.  She was pretty good on the
trail, too, finding only a minimal amount of Horse-Eating Monsters
and Saber-Toothed Belly Biters.  We conquered all of them!!!!  Other
than being tired and sore from hoofing it up some of those hills
beside her, I had a great time.  Also, the people were very pleasant
and helpful and made us feel welcome.

I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you for all the
knowledge you've shared on this list.  I have such respect for all
those who complete the 50's and 100's with sound, healthy horses.
I'm going to spend the next couple of years doing the LD's and
learning as much as I can.  I'll start conditioning two other horses
this summer and want to do some rides with them, as well.  So it
looks like I'll be too busy to get into much mischief.  This is sure
more fun than showing!!!

I hope to meet some of you in the future.

Linda Hedgpeth
Greenfield, CA
lth@thegrid.net