SELENIUM

Please keep in mind that different areas of the country have different
levels of selenium naturally occurring in the pasturage and hay.  Here in
the Upper Midwest we are naturally deficient in selenium, and feed quite a
bit to our horses.  In some other areas of the country, selenium levels are
quite high.  Before supplementing, you need to find out what level of the
mineral is naturally occurring in your area.  I have also been told by
experienced endurance riders (20 years plus) that the higher the level of
work, the more selenium is needed.  Clearly, selenium supplementation is
not a cut and dried X teaspoons per day situation.  Also in order for
selenium to do its work, Vitamin E is essential.  You can feed all the
selenium the horse needs, but without the cofactor, it will not help.
Here in Wisconsin, feeding a selenium supplement is a must for ANY horse!
                LINDA HARTMAN