Re: feed questions...too fat!

> I "always" want to convert the fat to muscle.  I understand grain is
> good for doing this,

Nope.  Fat is just fat, it doesn't convert to anything---all it (and
grain) will do is provide the energy and protein needed for the body to
build muscle---but the only thing that will do that is WORK.

 as well as for supplementing anything the grass
> doesn't have to offer.  I am afraid of giving him too much grain because
> of his weight.  I try to give him a couple small feedings during the
> week 1-2 lbs only, to keep his tummy bugs happy.  As we work more and he
> drops (or converts, better yet) the weight to muscle I can give him
> more.

Since the pasture is *obviously* high quality, he doesn't need anything
else right now, and probably not for a long time to come.  Remember,
horses are evolved to naturally live on pasture---grains, fats and other
concentrates are actually an unnatural feed that humans have sortof
forced on horses in order to get the higher performance out of them we
want.  Good quality pasture, except for salt, is a COMPLETE diet for a
non-working, or even moderately working horse.

> But in the meantime, should I give him any at all while he is this fat
> pasture horse?  Are these amounts so small it doesn't make a difference?

I wouldn't.  Roughage is considerably higher in vitamins and minerals
than concentrates are, and a small amount isn't going to add anything he
isn't already getting.  Actually, because his microbial orga....ah hell,
the tummy bugs...are currently very nicely adapted to a roughage
diet---so by adding even a small amount of grain, you're probably
causing upset, not benefit.  Not a big deal, but you don't need to add
grain on the bug's behalf.  They're chugging along just fine.

> Also, because of barn owner stupidity, there is no salt or mineral block
> in the pasture.  I am welcome to put the small block in there (all I can
> carry up the mountain) but then it gets shared by all the other horses
> and is gone.

> How much salt / minerals are in straight pasture grass?

Minerals, plenty.  This isn't always true in all areas, but the mineral
content is generally very good in Northern Calif.  The only possible
exception might be selenium.  It might be worthwhile to run a quick
blood panel and check for Se levels, but I wouldn't even bother with
anything else.

What might be even easier (and cheaper) is call the county extension
agenet and describe where the pasture is and ask if the selenium levels
are adequate for a horse on pasture.

Other tan that, you don't need to supplement calcium, because there's
plenty in the clover.  I would provide salt, and that's something that
needs to be available continuously.  Sorry, no way around that.  BTW,
make it plain salt---you don't need the iron, copper, etc that's in the
TM salt.

> Should I put some electrolytes in with the grain?  (I like Heidi's
> method of not electrolyting the horse unless they really, really need
> it, let the body work naturally to replenish).

I do too.  I'd cut out the grain, and the electrolytes, and ust haul up
a bag of salt (or a big block if you can get it up there) and dump it on
the ground.

> Is how heavy the horse is an indicator of how good the grass is?

Big belly, no.  Fat, shiny, spunky horse that takes ten miles to warm
up?  Sounds like good pasture to me.

> Would I be better off giving him a little afalfa during the week instead
> of grain nutritional wise?

Nah.  Take him a carrot and give him a good scratch.  Clover has plenty
of all the good stuff in alfalfa and fresh is always better than hay.

> I also note that if he gets grain 1-2 hours before our evening ride
> (which is pretty short, sometimes speedy, but nothing really major), he
> gets a "high" and spooks at everything!  Is this the same as carbo

A little different, but probably a high transitional blood glucose
level.  Until you start working hard again and the pounds start peeling
away, don't bother with grain---he just doesn't need it.

> Hope these aren't stupid questions.

I've always agreed that the only stupid question is the unasked one.

  I've enjoyed the discussions...just
> be nice! <g>

Yes, maam.:-)

Seeya, Kim.  Hope this answered your questions.

Susan Garlinghouse