feed questions...too fat!

Mystery is on that Cal. Gold pasture grass, mostly clover right now, and
a very easy keeper.  Because of saddle problems, he is not ridden enough
right now and is overweight...rain gully down his back, press his ribs
and can barely feel them. Hoping the saddle issue is resolved this
weekend so I will be working him lots more.  Lunging him in the arena
doesn't do much for him exercise wise, he needs at least 10miles to warm
up!

I "always" want to convert the fat to muscle.  I understand grain is
good for doing this, as well as for supplementing anything the grass
doesn't have to offer.  I am afraid of giving him too much grain because
of his weight.  I try to give him a couple small feedings during the
week 1-2 lbs only, to keep his tummy bugs happy.  As we work more and he
drops (or converts, better yet) the weight to muscle I can give him
more.

But in the meantime, should I give him any at all while he is this fat
pasture horse?  Are these amounts so small it doesn't make a difference?

Also, because of barn owner stupidity, there is no salt or mineral block
in the pasture.  I am welcome to put the small block in there (all I can
carry up the mountain) but then it gets shared by all the other horses
and is gone.

How much salt / minerals are in straight pasture grass?

Should I put some electrolytes in with the grain?  (I like Heidi's
method of not electrolyting the horse unless they really, really need
it, let the body work naturally to replenish).

Is how heavy the horse is an indicator of how good the grass is?

Would I be better off giving him a little afalfa during the week instead
of grain nutritional wise?

I also note that if he gets grain 1-2 hours before our evening ride
(which is pretty short, sometimes speedy, but nothing really major), he
gets a "high" and spooks at everything!  Is this the same as carbo

Hope these aren't stupid questions.  I've enjoyed the discussions...just
be nice! <g>

thanks in advance,
Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab...wow, summer vacation too!)
Pt.Reyes, CA