Re: spongeing at camp

Glenn Foster wrote:

> >Dee is absolutely correct.  That rule is putting all the horses at risk.
> >All the CTR in FL not only allow sponging they put out water for it at all
> >stops and a few other places along the trail.
>
> Dee, Truman, I have read posts from both of you for more than a year since I started
> following ridecamp, and I have a lot of respect for what you both have had to say.  This
> time, however, you spoke way to quickly and way too loudly about something that you
> didnt read closely enough.  I have been to several of the UMECRA CTR's that Becke
> is talking about and am also planning to ride this one (only a shorter distance than she
> will).

I am not going to speak for Dee, she is quite capable of speaking for
herself.   In hot humid weather horses need to be cooled - thats a fact
that about any vet on this forum will tell you.  While the desire to
have a competition that is a fair test is a worthy goal, it has to be
superseded by the welfare of the horse.

If any rule were imposed that I deemed to be to the determint of the
horse I would not enter the ride.  Not being allowed to sponge and
appropriately cool a horse - even I camp - in hot and humid conditions
IMHO is such a rule.  This is what I stated.

I did not see any CTR bashing in either Dee's post or my post.  I can
assure that you that neither Dee - who is the incoming president of
SEDRA - nor I would bash CTR.  I might have some concern in a particular
ride but this is not the same as bashing CTR.

Truman Prevatt