Re: Carbos -- a different view

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998 07:10:03, karen Clanin <kclanin@fix.net> wrote:

>For this reason alone I think this whole discussion may turn into being
>nothing more than discussion as I feel the vet committee will have the
>final say.

This is a factor I had not thought of, but I hope that a potentially
valuable tool is not legislated away because some people may abuse it.

My concern for improper use of carbos is a different one.  Running
horses too fast before they're ready is already a significant problem
in our sport.  A horse's cardiovascular system and muscles train
faster than his skeletal system.  A good horse can be able to run "up
front" after only a few months conditioning, while it takes two years
or more to toughen up the joints and bones to withstand that stress
over time.  When this is done (too fast too soon) we too often see
"one-season wonders" who are world-beaters for a while and then fade
from the scene.

Carbos can be one more tool to get a horse to first-to-finish times
sooner, before he's ready.  That's why I've said that I will try carbo
faster than his joints are ready for.  If you're holding your horse's
speed back, you don't need speed enhancers.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net