Re: Carbos & Tom

In a message dated 98-06-25 11:34:18 EDT, hitech@sunset.net writes:

<< Gee, Tom, don't be so wishy washy, come right out and tell it like it is! I
 love this whole train of thought, even though I'm a typical "pack" member
 and not very competitive. However I think that endurance riders as a whole
 are very innovative in most areas. I know that as a former blue jeans, high
 heeled boots, 50# western saddle, and 10 gallon hat sort of girl, I have
 become a tights, running shoes, lightweight sythnthetic saddle, and helmet
 old woman. "Whatever works" instead of tradition seems to be the guiding
 principal for most endurance riders. I sure as heck don't know many cowboys
 who feed corn oil, beet pulp, or carbos. Maybe we are not on the cutting
 edge of nutrition, but I think most endurance riders have a closer bond
 with their mounts than most race trainers and are less likely to
 experiment. They want to be sure their best friends have the diet which
 they are relatively sure is going to keep them healthy.

Nothing wrong with that. Bob Baffert, interviewed by NY Times, said that he
wanted Real Quiet to think that the Belmont was a "special day". So he didn't
feed him on raceday. That was about a $20 million decision in my mind. In
general, racehorse trainers don't have the foggiest. If you think this tiff
was a little energetic, you should see what happens in the racehorse ngs--when
they let me in.

 Dorothy & Bob  >>