Not carbos/Horse Protection

While many of the posts here discuss ways of protecting our horses, I
wonder how many others have done the following -   Fill out a Standard
Consent Form issued by
your veterinarian authorizing him or her to treat your horse in your
absence for emergency procedures, or euthanasia, if indicated.  Most of us
go off to rides for the
weekend or long road trips.  While we always leave the location and ride
manager's
phone # with our house sitter/animal feeder,  most ride managers are not at
home by their phones.  They are at the ride site and will be until the
weekend is over.  Consequently, we are all out of touch should an emergency
arise with the horses we have left at home.  We have this form on file with
our veterinarian, so if such an occasion were to happen, he is able to
treat our animals accordingly.  Without this
consent form,  and in the absence of our verbal o.k., he would not.
Believe me, we enjoy great peace of mind knowing that if the worst scenario
were to happen, our animals would not suffer needlessly simply because we
were not available.  Hope this serves as a "heads up" to any of you who've
never thought of this.  Barbara Sanches