RE: Carbs - only part of the picture

Since many riders feed carbs at stops, whether it be grain - whole,
crimped, rolled, cracked or white powder, many seem to feel there is a
need to replenish. Again I would assert that it would be the hundred
milers or multiday horses that have the most to gain and it will be an
edge not a miracle. For shorter distances the edge may be less but
I'll take any benefit I can.

As Joe says, the stuff the speed demons do, don't neccessarily
translate straight across but it's worth thinking about. One thing to
bear in mind is that some of these track horses have been doing up to
20 training miles in a day, not many but some. Add to that the warm up
and cooling off in between and you have a respectable milage. Mind you
it's flat, even their hill work is what we call freeway here. Well
worth watching to see if there are ideas we can steal from them. The
other group that interests me are the 3 day eventers.

General question for y'all. I'm interested to know how you decided on
the correct amount of grain to feed? Is there some sort of hueristic
approach?

==
Nicco Murphy - Poway, San Diego, CA