Re: Truman Nearly Passing Out!

Truman,

I think part of the problem is the broad spectrum of individuals. Take
me for example, eat double portions, and still have room for some
heavy duty chocolate cake in my whipped cream. Skinny as a rake.
Others gain weight just watching me eat. Same for horses.

To answer your question. Hal is currently off work, he's bare foot
trying to fix a long term hoof problem. Never the less he gets 6
pounds of grain (oat/corn) and 25 to 35 pounds of hay a day (all he
can eat) just to stop from getting totally ribby (he's already ribby).
When in work he has got up to 14 pounds in a day but more typically
10. The youngsters get half a pound a day and all the hay they can eat
and they are being conditioned and are fat and happy.

All three are turned out together 24hr in the summer, in the barn when
it rains (they live on a steep hill - gets slippery). They only get
grass for one month in the year, then it turns to dirt.

Nicco

> Truman Prevatt wrote:
>
> >  I saw this and about passed out.  How much
> > grain do other people feed?  Even when my horses
> > are working their hardest they don't get more
> > than 6 pounds of feed a day, with maybe up to a
> > pound of rice brand added.  The feed is not pure
> > grain but a beet pulp based sweet feed - 6%
> > fat.  Misty is 16 - 2 and Jordy is 15 -3 and
> > neither has every had trouble kepping on
> > weight.  They are on grass 22 hours a day with
> > grass hay supplemented in the winter.  The guys
> > that are not working get barley any feed in the
> > summer when the grass is good.
> >
> > What do other people do?

==
Nicco Murphy - Poway, San Diego, CA