Re: Carbs - only part of the picture

In a message dated 98-06-23 13:30:36 EDT, Teddy@runningbear.com writes:

<<  they don't get that much grain at
 all...3-6 lbs. per day when working HARD.  I think
 part of the problem is that many horses take up to
 a year to adjust to the workload, hence lose
 weight until their metabolic system is efficient.

This is so true--takes awhile to become efficient for many horses.  I don't
think I have ever fed any of my horses over 3-4 lbs of grain a day, except
maybe actually in small dribs and drabs on race day on longer rides.  Have had
a few do 1000+ mile seasons and stay in good weight on that, too.

Heidi