Re: Heat & Humitity

carl meyer wrote:

> Hi..
>
> I'm off to work and have to run, but couldn't resist a quickie response:
>
> WHY IN THE WORLD CAN'T YOU SPONGE AT CAMP????? THAT'S INSANE...I WOULD
> NOT GO TO THAT RIDE !

Dee is absolutely correct.  That rule is putting all the horses at risk.
All the CTR in FL not only allow sponging they put out water for it at all
stops and a few other places along the trail.

Electrolytes are important but probably more important is water intake.
The horse must drink and drink lots.  If he is not drinking do not give
electrolytes - they will do more harm than good.  If he is drinking then
the electrolytes will help.

Many times riding in the open where there is a breeze - even tho it is in
the sun - is better than riding in the shade where there is no breeze.  You
just have to play this one by ear and use your head.  Also don't forget
yourself.  You have to drink and take your electrolytes.  I would just
watch the horse and be ready to pull at the first sign of trouble.

--
Truman Prevatt
Brooksville, FL

Mystic “The Horse from Hell” Storm