RE: soaking hay

We did Heidi's ride - Sunriver Classic - a couple weeks ago, and at
all of the holds there was hay - alfalfa and grass - floating in the
water tanks. The horses love it! The tanks were big enough that the
water never got warm or stale, but the hay was nice and moist.
One of our horses in particular can be a little picky about eating at the
vet checks - but he wolfed down the hay that was floating in the
water tanks. Good stuff. It's a little harder to do this on your own,
because as Heidi mentioned, it gets pretty sour if the water  warms up and
it sits too long. But at a hold you can fill a bucket with fresh water and
toss some hay in it, they'll probably love it.

Steph