Re: soaking hay

In a message dated 98-06-22 10:45:11 EDT, grs@theneteffect.com writes:

<< Do you put a flake of hay in a 5-gal bucket and fill it with
 water?  How long can/should you leave it in water -- min and max times --
 to do enough good without causing it to rot?  Isn't mold/mildew a problem
 here?  Do you leave it in the water until you actually feed it to the
 horse?  What are the dangers to avoid?

I mostly do this at rides, but it works for hot weather and for horses with
heaves, too.  I put it in immediately before feeding, and only put in what I
think they will consume in one feeding session.  I would recommend something
bigger than a 5-gallon bucket.  Muck buckets work well.  If the weather is
warm, it will start to sour after several hours--ask any ride manager who has
had to go bail a water tank the next morning after several riders have put
their hay in it--whoooooooeeeeeeee!

Heidi