soaking hay

Okay, time for another stultifyingly basic newbie question <g>.  I've
read over and over again that it's good to soak hay in water before
feeding it to the endurance horse, but I need to know exactly how to do
this.  Do you put a flake of hay in a 5-gal bucket and fill it with
water?  How long can/should you leave it in water -- min and max times --
to do enough good without causing it to rot?  Isn't mold/mildew a problem
here?  Do you leave it in the water until you actually feed it to the
horse?  What are the dangers to avoid?

Thanks as always!

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL