Re: Bandaging horses legs

In a message dated 98-06-15 16:53:12 EDT, bobmorris@rmci.net writes:

<< What supports my opinions? Over 24,000 miles of top ten finishes on our
 horses, no wrapped legs and no lameness problems. >>

Bob Morris is correct that the majority of horses do NOT need to have legs
wrapped.  This is one more of those issues where you need to know your own
horse and his or her own needs.  Wrapping for support is often necessary in
the case of an injury, but a healthy, normal set of legs does not gain any
benefit from wrapping, and can actually be subjected to more stress from heat,
etc., as Bob pointed out.  With some horses that are prone to edema after
exercise, etc., the benefits may outweigh the detriments, but once again, you
have to know your own horse and understand why he may or may not benefit.

Heidi Smith, DVM