Re: Bandaging horses legs

In a message dated 6/15/98 2:20:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time, jlong@mti.net
writes:

<< One of the very best things you can do for your horse after a ride IMO
 is to stand him in a cold flowing stream (if one is available) up over
 the fetlocks.

If not the the very best thing and at least over the fetlocks and even deeper
if possible.  However, I do ice at first.  When the leg has been iced and
cooled I may use a linement, Numotizine, Uptight or some such other thing and
wrap.  I wrap for the trailer ride home but take the wraps off before turning
the horse out.  I think the big problem with wrapping is the wraps people use
and the way they do it.  I only use track bandage type wraps with quilts
underneath.  I have seen people use them without padding which in my opinion
is just asking for problems.  And then there are the "polo" wraps which I
consider less than useless and possibly quite dangerous if wrapped
incorrectly.  However, as usual, that is just my own opinion.....Maryben