Re: Competitive Gaits

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Lauren Horn wrote:

> Susan Evans Garlinghouse wrote:
>  you may not want to spend alot of time cantering so
> > that alot of strain is put on that leg during one lead.
>
> Lets say that your on the left lead. Does that put more strain on the
> left or right front leg and L or R rear leg? Basic question, but I don't
> know the answer to that one.

WHen you are on your left lead it puts more strain on the left fore and
the right rear.  The right rear is the "first" foot to hit the ground
during the stride and the left fore is the last to come off the ground.

In the true canter, the other two legs (left hind and rifght fore) hit the
ground together.  In the "western pleasure lope" the HQ is trailing so the
right fore hits the ground before the left hind.  In a full racing gallop
the HQ is leading and the left hind hits the ground before the right fore.

FOr most horses, maintaining a true canter is quite easy (unlike
maintaining a true trot, which most horses, unless conscientiously
trained, will lose as they try to "speed up" or "slow down" the trot).

kat
Orange County, Calif.