Re: Competitive Gaits

Susan Evans Garlinghouse wrote:

> The most recent data from Cal Poly indicates that joint strain and
> concussion is also part of the trigger that makes horses change gaits.
> Beyond that, you have to use your own noodle to factor in whether you
> really should be cantering alot---for example, if your horse is a little
> dicey on one leg, you may not want to spend alot of time cantering so
> that alot of strain is put on that leg during one lead.

UF Vet school did a lot of high speed photo of horses at different gaits
several years
ago.  One thing they discovered is there is no such thing as a two beat
gait.  In a trot one
foot will hit before the other - hence more stress on one leg than the
other.

I just thought of reading about this study when I finally got my June EN
and looked at the cover.  If you notice the cover, the horse doesn't
have a two beat trot.  The right hind in on the ground and the left
front is still in the air.

Truman