Re: Competitive Gaits

Lauren Horn wrote:

> Susan Evans Garlinghouse wrote:
>  you may not want to spend alot of time cantering so
> > that alot of strain is put on that leg during one lead.
>
> Lets say that your on the left lead. Does that put more strain on the
> left or right front leg and L or R rear leg? Basic question, but I don't
> know the answer to that one.
>
> Lauren

I was always taught that at the three-beat canter, the greatest strain
is on the foreleg of the lead you're on (ie, left lead, left foreleg)
because at one point, all the weight is supported by that foreleg.
However, this wouldn't apply to a four beat gallop, because at one point
the weight is supported by one foreleg, at another point the weight is
supported by the other foreleg.  Tom would undoubtedly have the answer
to this one.

Susan G