Re: electrolytes

In a message dated 98-06-09 11:34:58 EDT, truman.prevatt@netsrq.com writes:

<< So based on the state of the methodology in the biological sciences today,
I would
 tend believe that Heidi's intuition on this subject based on 20 some years of
 experience is probably as valid as the conclusions drawn from "current
research".
 So when it comes to managing my horse I would be much more confortable with
Heidi's
 input than with the latest and greatest results.

 Truman Prevatt, PhD
 Mathematical Physicist >>

Truman, I think the main problem I see when it comes to incorporating research
into the management of an individual horse is the old controversy between
"lumpers" and "splitters".  At the level of research as we know it today, we
are "defining" how a species handles a particular function without much regard
for his individual genetic potential to perform a particulat task, hence,
"lumping" him into a particular category.  The need for electrolytes in
endurance horses is so extremely variable that it would stand to reason that
the ability to procure electrolytes from feed and to conserve them must also
vary greatly from horse to horse, hence "splitting" our idea about how horses
work into little individual categories.  I have been blessed with horses (I
like to think I have selected such individuals, and while that may have been
true in recent years, I got lucky with my first ones) that eat everything put
in front of them, drink at every opportunity, urinate normal urine 10 or 12
times during 100-milers, and consistently have A's or nearly A's for hydration
and gut sounds. They do not lose an appreciable amount of weight during rides,
and they bounce back well after rides.  They do this with little or no
electrolyte supplementation.  (And for the record, I have had 2 PNER mileage
champions, one of which was also the reserve points champion, as well as one
horse that was in the PNER Top 25 7 different years, so yes, I DO sometimes
run hard and run often.)  I also know from experience with thousands of other
horses and riders as a ride veterinarian that many horses require EXTENSIVE
electrolyte supplementation to do what they do.  Obviously, there is a
tremendous difference between individuals, and the take-home message here is
to KNOW YOUR OWN HORSE, no matter what the research papers say.  The great
value of research is to discover how and why various things work or don't
work, so that one can evaluate one's own horse armed with more knowledge about
the actual processes that happen within his body.  However, to assume that ALL
horses fit the model in a given paper can be a serious mistake when one is
dealing with individuals.

Although endurance horses have been my avocation for nearly a quarter of a
century, I make most of my living working with broodmares.  The ONE thing I
tell all mare owners is to remember that THE MARE DID NOT READ THE BOOK.  This
statement could certainly be made about endurance horses, too.

Heidi