Ideas for footwear against sore (human) feet

I ride in a number of shoes/boots depending on the temperature, mud/snow
and whatever I can lay my hand to as I head out the door.  Having rather
flat, flexible, spaghetti-like feet I have discovered inexpensive,
commercial orthotics, really a sculpted insole, help both in regular
everyday wear and on the trail.  For me they reduce foot fatigue and the
little toe numbness which I,  too, have been suffering for the first time
ever this spring.

I wonder if this increased comfort is because of the correct foot position
in the shoe or because of the increased stiffness of the sole.  Riding in a
pair of softened old running shoes proved uncomfortable even on the wide
plastic tread of my stirrups.  I 've been eyeing my old mountain biking
shoes, which have a very rigid sole, and will try them. The ankle-tops are
really low however and they'll be real ankle twisters when off the horse.

Anyone have any experience with really stiff-soled shoes and whether they
work or no?

Ann H