electrolytes

From: Sarah
Email: zawackis@pilot.msu.edu

I'm going to do my first 25 (CTR) this Saturday and I have been strongly advised to use electrolytes.  I had reservations about this initially, because my thought is that Arabs have been running around in the desert for thousands of years, they didn't always have electrolytes at the Tevis, and so on...  BUT it won't hurt him, and I don't want to hurt/discourage my horse.  He's very fit and absoulutely positive that he's incapable of running out of steam, and I'd like him to stay that way.  The person who advised me to do so said to use a syringe and mix the e-lytes with apple sauce and admininster like wormer. I don't want to add to his water because he doesn't drink much anyway (I posted a message about that earlier) and I don't want to throw him off this week.  So my question is, are there horse treats containing electrolytes?  If no, why not?  And, please give any further advice.  Elliot's a six year-old Egyptian and this is his second year of riding on the trail (former racehorse, and we have (thank God) gotten most of the kinks out).  He's fit, veiny, shiny, happy, and has yet to take a lame step, although he sometimes seems to be mildly colicky at night (two or three times in two years, seems to be after moderate riding, but not hard riding), and he's always perky and fine the mornings after.  Thank you in advance.  Sarah