Newcomers

I really agree with Heidi.  If I were a newcomer to this sport and read
ridecamp I would never get involved in endurance riding.  We make it sound so
much more difficult than it is.  How overwhelmed they must feel when we talk
about protein content of hays, electrolyte balances, glycogen storage, easy
boots versus sneakers versus regular shoes, and on and on—all suitable and
valuable dialogue for the experienced rider, but totally from outer space for
the beginning endurance rider who does not even have a clue as to the
terminology we are using.  I just want to shout at them "Just feed him twice a
day, ride a lot, keep your head screwed on right and, with compassion for the
animal in your heart,  go do it."  Then learn to ride endurance by the seat of
your pants as Heidi did with her flying. And I think maybe that was what Maggy
was trying to say.  The old timers had no guidelines to follow and somehow we
and our horses survived. And, believe it or not, our horses aren't running any
faster now than they did then. Are we more knowledgeable now?  You betcha and
that has been a boon to our horses and brought competition to a higher level.
When I started endurance riding, I was told that a horse had one good hundred
mile ride in it in a lifetime.  How utterly false.  A superior horse with a
good rider can have 40 or 50 hundred mile rides to its credit.  So yes, we
have taken advantage of modern technology but most of that comes later, after
your first few rides.  For the present, feed him, vaccinate him, deworm him,
ride him and go to a ride. I did not get past the first vet check on my first
ride. (Actually I did not get past the first vet check on the last ride I did
earlier this week either—lame horse on first day of Applegate-Lassen).  Ask
questions, watch others and have a good time.  You'll learn, it just takes
time.  Experience will teach you more than modern technology.  So newcomers,
don't be afraid to try.  I repeat, with compassion for the animal as your
brake and your first priority,   dare to risk failure, but turn it into a
learning experience. Julie Suhr