Re: beet pulp and grass

Hi Kathy,

Beet pulp would be okay at the rides, with a few cautions.  Beet pulp is
higher in total energy (calories) than is grass, is about the same in
protein content (if you compared them on a dry-weight basis)(and
depending on the exact composition of your pasture) and the mineral
content is probably in the ballpark.  However, beet pulp is still a
different feed from the grass your horses are used to, and could
potentially cause some digestive upset _if_ they didn't get it at home.
So just make sure your horses get some on a fairly regular basis at
home, so the GI tract is used to it---then you can feed it as a mash at
rides (in larger quantities would be okay), along with the hay, and
fresh grass if you can find it.

Hope this answers your question?  Good luck!

Susan Garlinghouse