Re: A scary story

I have seen a horse catch the snap off of a biothane bridle WITH bit
hangers.  He rubbed against a chain link fence and became "one with the
fence", so to speak.  He took the whole fence down with him as he ran around
like an idiot trying to get away from it.  His 12 year old rider stayed
aboard & eventually calmed him down & detached the fence.  The whole
scenario was horrible.  Her Mom was a wreck!

Biothane is very strong - it doesn't usually break.  The biothane bridle I
use has ABS plastic snaps (like on fanny packs, etc.) so that there isn't
anything to catch on.  It only broke once when the horse stepped on her
reins - what it was made to do - protect her mouth!

If you have the metal snaps/hooks, I'd critically examine them.  Some folks
I know wrap them with duct tape to prevent them from snagging on anything.
Sometimes the metal will have a weak spot & break, but I wouldn't want my
horse hurt while I hoped that something was going to give.  I'm all for the
safety ABS plastic snaps on halter bridles!!

Linda Flemmer